Generations of Computer
A computer is an electronic device that manipulates information or data. It has the ability to store, retrieve, and process data.
Nowadays, a computer can be used to type documents, send email, play games, and browse the Web. It can also be used to edit or create spreadsheets, presentations, and even videos. But the evolution of this complex system started around 1940 with the first Generation of Computer and evolving ever since.
Types of Generation:
- First Generation (1946-1959)
- Second Generation (1959-1965)
- Third Generation (1965-1971)
- Fourth Generation (1971-1980)
- Fifth Generation (1980 to onwards)
Fifth Generation of Computers
The period of fifth generation is 1980-till date. In the fifth generation, VLSI technology became ULSI (Ultra Large Scale Integration) technology, resulting in the production of microprocessor chips having ten million electronic components.
This generation is based on parallel processing hardware and AI (Artificial Intelligence) software. AI is an emerging branch in computer science, which interprets the means and method of making computers think like human beings. All the high-level languages like C and C++, Java, .Net etc., are used in this generation.
- Chromebook and many more
Advantages of Fifth Generation Computers
Disadvantages of Computer
Features of Fifth Generation Computers
- The fifth generation computers will use super large scale integrated chips.
- They will have artificial intelligence.
- They will be able to recognize image and graphs.
- Fifth generation computer aims to be able to solve highly complex problem including decision making,logical reasoning.
- They will be able to use more than one CPU for faster processing speed.
- Fifth generation computers are intended to work with natural language.
Fourth Generation Languages
4GLs are designed to reduce the overall time, effort and cost of software development.
The main domains and families of 4GLs are:
Database queries, report generators, data manipulation, analysis and reporting, screen painters and generators, GUI creators, mathematical optimization, web development and general purpose languages .
Next, learn about What is Computer Network?