Database Management System in simplified words is a type of software that is designed to manipulate your data. In simple words, we can say that it helps you to get input your data into the software, manipulate it or calculates it and output the result in a quick way. Moreover, we can also say that it’s a manager to your data of a specific field.
About Database Management System
It generally makes your input your data according to the said format; it records it according to the structure of the system and processes the data as per instructions. Thus, we can say that it manipulates your data after validation for further use. The data management system is becoming essential for every field of work because it maintains the record and always helps you when you require data.
Every category of business requires this type of software because it manages all your records and specification in a required format. In this way, the management software helps you to understand and work through your data easily. Talking about the working of the Data management system, the software always works according to your requirements and desires.
There was a time when all of the records of business were recorded manually on paper, and that needs a lot of time and effort, which may cause human error. The data management system always works on their behalf and works accurately in a quick and efficient way.
Types of Database Management System
There are various types of data management systems, but the major includes four types of management systems. The four types of data management system are the following:
- Relational Database: In this type of data management system, the database works on shared bases because the database in the software is attached to different tables. This means that the similarity in the table is possible at a high level, and this maintains the integrity of the system. Moreover, the system also makes fewer risks of losing the data because of the similarity at different references performed. This type of management system for the database is mostly used throughout the database organizations.
- Flat Database: This is the second type of data management system which deals with the database software that records the data in a limited way. This is because this includes the record of the data with a fixed number of fields that can be optimized. This type of system is not much efficient, and the basic reason behind this is that it usually makes an error due to the repetition of the same nature data.
- Object-Oriented Database: This is another type of data management system which is mostly used for organizing the data which is relative to object-oriented programming. This system is not much used because it is only used for classes, objects, and other programming belongings. Moreover, this can only be used for similar data and methods.
- Hierarchical Database: This is a complex type of data management system which is used for complex networking just in case if the relationship of one-to-many is violated. This type of management system is also not used so much because of the specific use.
Advantages of Data management System
As we have discussed before that there are unlimited benefits of the data management system. This is because this software helps you to organize your data and records an inefficient way. There are very fewer risks of error because the system automatically manipulates your data in an accurate way. Moreover, this database management software doesn’t is inexpensive as well as this is not a time-consuming process. The software just needs your input in a specific format, and once it gets that, it automatically processes the data according to the instruction to give the user output. The whole of this process of manipulation takes place within seconds. Some of its further benefits are discussed below:
- Data Sharing: Database management system software helps the user or organization to share their data inside and outside their organization in a specific way. This database software follows the instruction and shares the manipulated data.
- Data Security: One of the greatest advantages of this software is that it increases the security of your data, whether it’s public data or confidential because it can only be controlled by an official person. The security level of the system can be controlled by the higher management of an organization which makes the data private according to the policies of the company.
- Accessing and Auditing: The accessing of the data is very quick and easy in the database system because you can easily sort out the data you want instead of searching on papers which takes a lot of time and effort. Moreover, you will always find an accurate result in a specific format. Auditing of the data can also be done through software because the database will always allow that data to be input that is valid and verified. In this way, the sequence of the data will always be maintained. Moreover, the calculations and processed data will always be correct and maintained.
- Integration: The integration of the data can be done easily through this system because it doesn’t need any effort in finding database resources. Instead of this, a single resource interface will manage your entire database.
- Efficient administration: In many cases, the organization needs to check the reports of their employees which are difficult if the work is done manually on papers. If the organization is using the database management system, then they easily administrate their employee progress through the queries and reports of the system. Remember, this process is also done automatically through the system.
- Less Risk of losing Data: One of the most important benefits of this system is that it can decrease the risk of losing the data from the user because manual work can be lost anytime. However, the system can recover the data using recovery features.
Uses of Data Management System:
There are numerous uses of the data management system, including different categories of businesses. You should know that this system is becoming compulsory for making your organization popular and increasing the business. This is because of the quick management system as well as an inexpensive system as it uses less employee power. Moreover, this can also manage your data according to international standards. Following are some of the common uses of Data management system:
- Banking Database: The banks throughout the world use this technology to organize the data of their belongings, including their customers, accounts, and employees. The transactions of banks are done after the verification from the database system. The database management system is the reason behind the fast and quick banking throughout the bank as well as the accurate transactions.
- School Management system: The majority of the schools in the world use a database management system to manage their data. The most common use of management system in the school is to control the data of students, their staff, teachers, examination, results as well as the expense of the organization. All of these tasks are done through the database management system. The organizing of result marks, as well as the record of the students, is recorded through this system.
- Airlines: The database management system can also be used in air ticketing management as well as the accounts of the airline. The airline use database management to control the booking of their flights as well as database helps them to book the air tickets accurately. If the database doesn’t exist in airline management, then there will be high risks of overbooking, unconfirmed booking as well as information risks. Not only the airline but the other transports fields also use a database system to organize their records of their passengers as well as book the tickets.
- Hospital: From Doctors to medical stores, all of these use the database management system to record the data of their patients. The hospitals use database management to save the record of their patients for later use as well as to calculate the bill. Moreover, medical stores use to organize their stock of medicines using a database management system. However, medical companies also use the validator of the database management systems to check the expiry of their medicines. This is very time consuming if this is done using manual paperwork because checking and sorting out every medicine is very difficult and needs effort.
- Websites: The data we see on the website are also organized through the database management systems through hosting. The login and password through which we access the social media websites are also get validated from the database of the website. All of the content and other belongings are organized from the database system.
The database management system has its uses throughout every field. This is because the database system maintains the data of citizens of a country. It is almost impossible to maintain the data using manual paperwork because collecting data of millions of peoples from numerous cities and organize them is impossible. However, all of the countries in the world use a database management system to organize and manipulates the data of their population. Moreover, the database can be used for research and education purposes. The history and records of the research can be recorded through a database management system.
Working without a database management system is just like traveling without vehicles because it needs a lot of efforts and become expensive without this system. Further, it is impossible to grow your business without a database system. You can observe that all of the famous businesses are organized through database systems. The famous e-commerce stores are completely organized through the data management system, and they are failed if they are not using this type of system. The database system can be made on different platforms/languages. MySQL is an old way of organizing the system, but it is still used whereas the Oracle is trending nowadays because of the less time consuming and working efficiently.
You should also know that the database management system is not just software, but it also needs some hardware because it has to store all of the data. The data which is input in the software is actually stored in hardware but organize through the software which is linked with hardware. The modern way of organizing the database is a cloud database which means that you can store your data at some company’s cloud storage.
In this way, you did not need physical space for storing data as well as you can recover your data in case your physical hardware is destroyed. Furthermore, we can see that if we have to store data of millions of objects (like population), then we need different racks and space for storing the data which can be lost due to different reasons. But the storage of data in a cloud database cannot be lost without any reason.
1. What are the types of data management?
A. There are different types of data management systems, including relation database, hierarchical database, object-oriented database, network database, graph database, etc.
2. What is a database management system and give an example?
A. A database management system is software which inputs your data, manipulates or organizes it and returns the output according to your instructions. The database systems manage your records, transactions and all other types of data. The common example of DBMS is oracle and MySQL.
3. What is the data model in DBMS?
A. The data model in the Database management system is actually the structure of the database. The database of the system actually works on the structure of the software, which is a model of the database.
4. Where is a database used?
A. The use of database management systems is in different fields including airline management, hospitals, accounts of an organization, education, websites, school management system, library management, stock or inventory control.
5. Is Facebook a database?
A. Facebook is a social media website, and the entire database is controlled using MySQL database infrastructure, and it controls one of the largest database systems in the world.
6. What is validation in DBMS?
A. The validation in the Database management system is actually the checking of the software, whether the data is valid or not. Most of the database management system validates the data before accepting for manipulation.
Next, you can learn about the cache memory.